The Best Ways to Detox After the 4th
Another 4th of July has come and gone; which means another day of cold drinks, barbecue, festive desserts and, of course, unlimited snacking has occurred to celebrate the USA the right way. But alas, July 5th has arrived bringing the all too-familiar guilt of going overboard with your cheat day. Although we might be feeling tired and bloated, and may even be sporting some dark circles underneath our eyes, there’s nothing a few detox strategies can’t fix.
“Detox” has become a growing buzzword within the health community, but for good reasons. Detoxification works to eliminate toxins, especially in the liver, and remove impurities found in the blood. Various detoxes also work to revitalize the lymphatic system, kidneys, intestines, lungs and the skin, as well as work to improve overall circulation. While some detox diets and plans may last days to sometimes weeks, there are a few daily routines we can all add to our already established regimens to help flush out impurities and minimalize harmful toxins.
Here are a few powerful detox methods:
- Drink a cup of herbal tea containing herbs like dandelion root or matcha in the morning before your coffee (or maybe instead of coffee if you’re feeling it). If you’re not a fan of herbal teas no worries! A cup of hot water with freshly squeezed lemon juice and a dash of ground ginger or cayenne pepper is just as good for you and super tasty.
- Take lots of vitamin C—whether you opt for vitamin C rich foods or take a supplement daily, this essential vitamin boosts glutathione levels, which is a liver compound that helps to rid the body of toxins.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Fruits such as apples, berries and pineapple, and green such as spirulina, kale and chlorella work to naturally detoxify the body.
- Sweat! A vital part any detox is sweating, either from exercise, like an intense HIIT session or a hot yoga flow, or from being in a sauna or even the hot sun, these activities all work to release toxins found within the blood. Just remember to rehydrate with lots of water after!
- It may sound almost too good to be true, but a deep breath all the way in from the belly can prove to be the ultimate detox, its how your body removes waste through our pressure system. To focus on your detox breath, first place your tongue behind your upper front teeth, then inhale deeply through your nose for a count of 4 and exhale for a count of 8. Repeat this at least 3 times, or as many times as you feel you need to properly get your zen on. Try sighing on exhale for deeper input.
If you are interested in learning more about detox, and how to detox even deeper, contact Real Magazine’s Wellness Expert Kim Burns at KimBurns@GetRealExclusive.com